Monday, May 7, 2012

Grace and Healing - A Must Read!

When we were planning for our spaghetti dinner we always set out to have it be more than just spaghetti and fellowship.  We committed this evening to the Lord early on and continually asked that He would take this event and do wonderous works for His glory.  I'll admit that I (Jane) always assumed God would use it to lead someone else to adoption.  BUT just like His word says:   
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways  and my thoughts than your thoughts.  (Isaiah 55:8-9 ESV) "
While I have yet to hear of anyone considering adoption after attending Friday night, there is a testimony I did hear.  This is one filled with grace and healing that only the Lord could do.  It is not something I could have ever "thought" of myself, and it causes my heart to rejoice and be thankful that "His ways are higher"!!! 
Yesterady, a dear sister shared with me something that took place on Friday night at our Spaghetti Dinner.  I asked her if she would be willing to write a testimony of it to post on our blog.  She willingly agreed, both of us hoping that maybe God would use it to bring healing to any mother who has walked the road of giving up their child for adoption.  This is her testimony...but before you read any further I will warn you to have tissues ready!  She writes: 
"Nine years ago my daughter was going through health and financial issues.  She was in a dilemma, as the father of her child was incarcerated, and she already had 2 other children.  She sought the advice of her social worker, who gave her the phone number of Catholic Social Services.  She became very close to a social worker there who did not judge her, but directed her to an open adoption program.  Through this program she learned about different families who were waiting for a child.  She became quite familiar with her family that she picked for her baby.  When her baby was born, she held her and cared for her for 2 days in the hospital.  Her doctor and nurses told my daughter that she was brave and loving to do this for her newborn daughter.  On the third day, my daughter, the social worker and I went to the office; met the parents, and handed over the child to the excited parents.  There were tears of joy and sorrow in that room.
My daughter received pictures and letters from the adoptive parents; however, my daughter still had doubts that she did the right thing, and suffered depression.  We have seen this child and have talked with her.  We have relayed these feelings to our daughter that her child is happy, loved and cared for.
Last Friday night, my daughter came to the dinner; however, when the video started she darted for the door.  Something pushed her back.  She watched the video. When she saw the happiness on that child, and entire family, a great healing occurred.  She thanked me for taking her and said that now she knows that she did the right thing.  The Lord was in that room."
If you have adopted a child I want to encourage you to pray for your child's biological mom.  Maybe you already do, but if you don't, please consider it.  As your child's parents, you can lift their biological mommy up in prayer.  Why?  Because maybe giving up her child was the most difficult decision of her life.  Maybe it was circumstances like the woman above, or maybe it was a teen pregnancy, or maybe her country wouldn't allow her to keep her child.  Whatever the circumstances may be, there is a good chance she needs healing, whether from guilt, shame, depression, a drug/alchohol addiction, a grieving aching heart that wanted to keep her child, but couldn't, or maybe it was something else.  Consider these things and let God's compassion move you to pray, for her, or any mom who has walked the road of giving a child up.  Realize that this woman loved her child enough to give them life, and now that life has become your gift.  You can choose to give a gift back to her...PRAY!  Thank God for her and pray she is comforted by His love and grace somehow, someway.  Pray for her salvation and for healing; however God leads you, just pray. 
If you attended our dinner and you enjoyed a fortune cookie then you will remember we had this verse inside of them:
 "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."  (Matthew 25:40b ESV)
Lastly, if you are wondering what video she watched, you can click Adoption Video  You can also find it in our blog archives under "Adoption Video" posted on May 6, 2012.
 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful testimony. I do, in fact, pray for Li'l E's birth mother. I cannot even imagine the pain in giving up this child that she chose not to parent, even in the midst of what might have been hard and horrible circumstances. She could have chosen to keep her and fought through the hard-ness of it all. I pray for the grace and comfort of the Holy Spirit each time I think of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, That was a beautiful testimony. Praise the Lord He is working so many wonderful things out in people lives these days.

    ReplyDelete