Thursday, September 12, 2013

I'll Be Back

No that title is not intended to sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger.  But it is a phrase we are saying pretty regularly here these days.  We are trying to so hard to get Mercy to understand that when one of us leaves we will be back.  So when Scott leaves for work he says "I'll be back."  When the kids leave for school they say "I'll be back."  When anyone of us leave for something we say "I'll be back."  She's catching on because yesterday when I had to take Michaela to her Bible study I told Mercy "I'll be back."  With that she chased me across the foyer screaming.  I guess she didn't want me to leave.  Tonight Scott and I had Michaela's meet the teacher back to school night.  It was only the second time we have both left Mercy t the same time.  Each of us has left her, but one of us is always home with her.  Tonight as we both kissed her good-bye and said "I'll be back" she again headed for the door in tears.  Thankfully she did stop crying and stayed content and happy while we were gone.  When we got home and we walked through the door I don't know who gave us a bigger greeting, the dog or Mercy.  She jumped into my arms and burried her head into me and then looked up into my face and shouted "back!"  I could have cried.  Yes, sweetheart mommy came back.  I will always come back. 

Tonights welcome back greeting hits the heart hard because she always seems shocked when we come back.  Tonights greeting also hit the heart hard because it assured me that she is bonding.  She embraced me, she was excited to see me, she was excited to see Scott.  Tonight when I put her to bed she fell asleep in my arms again and when I put her in the port-a-crib she didn't cry.  She held her hand up, I poked it as I always do, and she turned over and peacefully fell back to sleep.  I love this journey we are on.  I love watching her wrestle with and then grow in trust.  I love slowly watching her walls come down brick by brick.  I love the picture it displays of our human hearts towards God.  I love her and I am beginning to think she might be starting to love me too.


2 comments:

  1. Which I had a like button for this one. Great update-sort-of post... God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww, what a victory!!!!! I love this post - such hope and newness being wired into her and it's starting to come out in healthy positive ways. LOVE IT!

    Thanks for a nice visit - it was good to hear your heart and how you are handling your stressors. I appreciate the encouragement that our time gave me!

    ReplyDelete